Who we are
We are Gemma and Campbell, two Scots on the run and owners of highlands2hammocks. Our main goal and daily inspiration is to inspire and educate about the wonder of adventure and travel and how it can improve the lives of everyone.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data Protection principles we follow
- What rights you have regarding your personal data
- What personal data do we gather about you
- How we use your personal data
- Who else has access to your personal data
- How we secure your data
- Information about the cookies used on this site
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable person
Processing – any operation of set of operations that are performed on personal data or on sets of personal data
Data Subject – a natural person whose personal data is being processed
Children – a natural person under the age of 16 years of age
Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair and transparent. Our processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before processing personal data. We will provide you with information regarding processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our processing fits the purpose for which personal data is gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and process the minimal amount of personal data required for the purpose.
- Processing is limited with a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do the best to ensure the accuracy of your data.
- We will do the best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the data.
Data Subject’s Rights
The data subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – you have the right to know whether your personal data is being processed; what data is being gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your personal data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your personal data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request to have your personal data erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to processing of your personal data.
- Right to object to automated processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated processing, including profiling, and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your data in a machine-readable format, or if it is feasible as a direct transfer from one process to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
- Right for the help of a supervisory authority – meaning you have the right to access the help of a supervisory authority, as well as other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right to withdraw your consent that was previously given, for us to process your personal data.
Data We Gather
Information you have provided us with
In order to improve our customer service and your experience on this website, we may retain information that you have provided us with, for example email address.
Information automatically collected about you
Again this information is collected to improve your browsing experience on this website. This information may contain data that is automatically collected and stored by cookies and other browsing tools. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged.
Information from our partners
We gather information from our partners given that they have the legal grounds to share such information with us. This is either information that you have provided them directly or information they have gathered on legal grounds.
Publicly available information
We might gather information about you that is publicly available.
How We Use Your Personal Data
At highlands2hammocks we use your personal data in order to:
- Provide the best service to you that we can. This includes registering your account and subscription with us; recommending and providing other products that you have requested; updating you with what we have been up to; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of any changes to our services.
- Enhance your full customer experience.
- Fulfil an obligation under law or contract.
- Process orders for delivery to your location using our trusted fulfilment partner.
All of the data we use, we do so on legitimate grounds and/or with your consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you with a service or send you an offer/product;
- to communicate either for sales or invoicing.
On the grounds of legitimate interest, we process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to send you personalised offers (from either ourselves or our carefully selected partners);
- to administer or analyse our client base (purchasing behaviour or history) in order to improve quality, variety and availability of products/ services offered/provided.
As long as you have not informed us otherwise, we consider offering you products/services that are similar or same to your purchasing history/ browsing behaviour to be our legitimate interest.
With your consent we process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to send you newsletters and campaign offers (from us or our carefully selected partners);
- for other purposes we have asked your consent for.
We process your personal data in order to fulfil obligation arising from law and/or use your personal data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymise personal data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this policy only when it is anonymised.
We might process your data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here, but are compatible with the original purpose for which this data has been gathered. To do this, we will ensure:
- the link between context, purposes and nature of personal data is suitable for further processing;
- the further processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be appropriate safeguarding for processing.
We will inform you of any further processing and purposes.
Who Else Can Access Your Personal Data
At highlands2hammocks we do not share your personal data with anyone other than our trusted partners. This is done so as to improve your customer service and browsing experience, as well as deliver any items you may have purchased from us.
We only work with partners that are able to ensure adequate protection of your personal data. We disclose your personal data to third parties to third parties or public officials when we are legally required to do so. We might disclose your personal data to third parties if you have consented to it or there are legal grounds to do so.
How We Secure Your Personal Data
We do our best at highlands2hammocks to keep your personal data safe. We use safety protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We monitor our systems using adequate safety protocols for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
Even though we do our best to ensure the safety of your personal information, we cannot guarantee its security. In the even of a data breach, we will inform you that your personal data has been threatened. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist security authorities should any breaches occur.
If you have an account with us, not that you have to keep your username and password safe.
We believe it is important to provide added protection for children online. We encourage parents or guardians to spend some time online with their children to observe, participate and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
Cookies and Other Technologies We Use
A cookie is a small text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that help make sites work. Only we can access the information that is stored by the cookies created by this site. You can control the cookies at the browser level. You can choose to disable cookies, however doing so may hinder your browsing experience.
- Necessary cookies – these cookies are required in order for you to use some of the features on our website, such as logging in. These cookies do not store any personal information.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies provide functionality that makes using our services more convenient and makes providing more personal features possible.
- Analytics cookies – these cookies are used to analyse and track the performance and use of our website.
- Advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver advertisements that are relevant to you and to your interests. In addition, they are used to limit the amount of times you are shown an advertisement. They are usually placed to the website by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. These cookies remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organisation.
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. For more information about cookies visit http://allaboutcookies.org.
We collect information about visitors who comment on Sites that use our Akismet anti-spam service. The information we collect depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the Site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
Smush sends images to the WPMU DEV servers to optimize them for web use. This includes the transfer of EXIF data. The EXIF data will either be stripped or returned as it is. It is not stored on the WPMU DEV servers.
Smush uses a third-party email service (Drip) to send informational emails to the site administrator. The administrator’s email address is sent to Drip and a cookie is set by the service. Only administrator information is collected by Drip.
Our Advertising Partners
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising (Ver 1.1)
The Website works with Mediavine to manage third-party interest-based advertising appearing on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at All About Cookies.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site. In the event you opt-out, you will still see non-personalized advertisements on the Website.
The Website collects the following data using a cookie when serving personalized ads:
- IP Address
- Operating System type
- Operating System version
- Device Type
- Language of the website
- Web browser type
- Email (in hashed form)
Mediavine Partners (companies listed below with whom Mediavine shares data) may also use this data to link to other end user information the partner has independently collected to deliver targeted advertisements. Mediavine Partners may also separately collect data about end users from other sources, such as advertising IDs or pixels, and link that data to data collected from Mediavine publishers in order to provide interest-based advertising across your online experience, including devices, browsers and apps. This data includes usage data, cookie information, device information, information about interactions between users and advertisements and websites, geolocation data, traffic data, and information about a visitor’s referral source to a particular website. Mediavine Partners may also create unique IDs to create audience segments, which are used to provide targeted advertising.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit National Advertising Initiative opt out page. You may also visit Digital Advertising Alliance website and Network Advertising Initiative website to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices app to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
For specific information about Mediavine Partners, the data each collects and their data collection and privacy policies, please visit Mediavine Partners.
Black Friday 2023 Giveaway T&C’s
Our giveaway with Newmore Highland Pods for Black Friday 2023 will consist of one winner getting a 2-night stay at these lodges redeemable between January 2024 and May 2024. Refer to Newmore Highland Pods policy page for pet policy and area. Highlands2hammocks are not responsible for any booking or supply of accommodation and all correspondence regarding the stay must be done directly with Newmore Highland Pods.
Last updated 11th November 2023.